Welcome to Millwood Kindergarten Center’s Counselor’s Corner! My mission as a certificated school counselor is to help support the social, emotional and developmental needs of all Millwood students. I also strive to help support parents, families and staff members in order to create a positive learning environment for all.
I work closely with our support staff to provide a comprehensive counseling/guidance program. Here are some of the services we currently provide to our students and families:
- Conflict-resolution program called Kelso’s Choice to help students solve small problems on their own
- CST (Child Study Team) meetings to help identify academic/behavior supports
- Crisis intervention and individual counseling for students in crisis
- Friendship groups, leadership groups and other small-group counseling focused on building age-appropriate social skills
- Kelly Bear C.A.R.E.S. Program focused on building confidence and resiliency skills
- PACE (Partners Advancing Character Education) classroom instruction
- Positive behavior supports and preventative behavior interventions
- Referrals to community resources including mental health therapists and child development/trauma specialists
- Refocus/calm-down area located in the counseling center
- Section 504 Accommodation Plan development/case management
- Schoolwide reward system which includes positive rewards such as Cub Paws, students of the month and classroom parties
- Weekend food program offered through Bite 2 Go/2nd Harvest and Victory Faith Fellowship
As a student advocate, I am here to help in any way I can so please don’t hesitate to contact me if you have any questions about the services listed above. Thank you for allowing me to be a part of your student’s education!
Landon S. Johnston, M.S.
School Counselor/Behavior Interventionist
(509) 922-5469 ext. 2720